Monday, April 18, 2011

Review of Brian Wright at 3rd and Lindsley 4/10/11

Last Sunday night, I was lucky enough to attend Brian Wright's concert at 3rd and Lindsley, which was also broadcast on the local Indie radio station and streamed live on the Internet.  I've been wanting to see him live for a while, so this was a nice little treat and also my first concert of 2011.  Geez, has it really been 5 months since I've been to a concert?!?  No wonder I was having withdrawals.  Ha!

3rd and Lindsley is quickly becoming my favorite small venue as I've now seen 3 concerts there and loved them all.  I really like the intimacy of this cozy, small venue.  I guess I'm getting old, but I really like the fact that you sit at tables instead of standing the whole time as well.  Plus they have a killer tilapia salad that I end up craving all day the day of a concert.  Now how sad is that?  Ha!

I met one of my closest friends Rachel and her younger sister Stephanie there about an hour before the music began so we could squeeze in a quick meal before the show and managed to talk them into sitting up front, so I could get better pictures.  It was absolutely FREEZING inside even though it was near 90 outside.

Rachel Loy, who I had not heard of before that night, was the opening act.  Her music was kind of folksy/singer-songwriter sounding; similar enough to Brian that the transition from her show to his was an easy one.  The band that played after Brian was called Myrick/Peacock.  They had more of a rock feel to them.  I had never heard of them before, but quickly recognized one of their songs called "Bliss" which was used in a Hershey's Bliss commercial a while back.  Both Rachel Loy and Myrick/Peacock were good, but I was there to see Brian, so that's who really stood out and stuck with me.

Brian was the middle act at 3rd and Lindsley, but the opening act on the radio.  He has an Americana/folksy/singer-songwriter/alternative country sound and was very funny, sharing a few stories in between songs.  A couple of songs in, he asked the tech guys to lower the already fairly dim lights.  I guess they were bothering his eyes, but this made getting pictures hard, although I do have a few to post.  When talking in between songs, he was quite soft-spoken and almost a bit shy sounding.  His singing voice is very soft and mellow on most songs as well.  I did get a couple of small video snippets, but didn't record any full songs because I was saving my camera's memory for my favorite song of his ("Glory Hallelujah") which he sadly did not play. 

I think my favorites from this set were "Morning Cigarettes" and "Maria Sugarcane" although everything he played was great.  All in all it was a great show.  He kept talking about how he had really enjoyed his stay in Nashville and hoped to come back more often, which I hope he does.  I got a chance to talk to him afterwards and just like on stage, he was quiet and very sweet, but easy to talk to.  He seemed very humble and thanked Rachel and I multiple times for complimenting his music.  I will definitely go see him again if I have the chance.

Brian's Set List
Morning Cigarettes
*Wind Blows
Sophia
Your Brother, The Poet
Accordion
*It's Slow
*Be Your Friend
Pretty Little Penny
Former Queen of Spain
Maria Sugarcane
Striking Matches

* I'm not sure of the title on these, but that's my best guess based on the lyrics.

Pictures


Rachel Loy

Brian Wright

Brian Wright

Myrick/Peacock

Video


Brian Wright - "Pretty Little Pennies"

1 comment:

  1. I think I've heard of him, but I definitely have to look up more of his music because I love that video! And your pictures look great. I completely agree with you on prefering intimate settings - and better yet, tables and chairs! That's part of the reason I don't go to many concerts, they're always so rowdy and people are drinking way too much; it makes it difficult to enjoy the music. I'd much prefer a quiet little coffee shop or something simple like that.

    ReplyDelete